Recommended Recipe - Grilled Coconut-Rum Shrimp
- 1 1/2 pounds medium-large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/3 cup coconut-flavored rum such as Malibu
- 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Curried peanut sauce (see recipe below)
Prepare curried peanut sauce. Let stand at room temperature 1 hour before serving.
In a glass dish, combine shrimp, rum, brown sugar, ginger, lime juice, soy sauce and garlic. Cover and marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes. Stir occasionally.
Remove shrimp from marinade, reserving marinade, and thread them onto flat metal skewers. Grill shrimp, basting with the reserved marinade and turning them once, until just cooked through, about 6 to 7 minutes. Slide shrimp from skewers. Shrimp can be served hot or warm. Makes 4 to 6 servings.
Curried peanut sauce:
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons coconut milk
- 2 serrano chiles, stemmed and chopped
- 2 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coconut-flavored rum
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon curry powder
Combine all ingredients in blender or food processor. Process until smooth.